Kelp is an excellent source of 70 vitamins, minerals, trace minerals, proteins, and enzymes, earning it a status as a green “superfood”. The sea water it grows in contains an abundance of trace elements and these are absorbed by the kelp and converted to an organic form that can be absorbed by the human digestive tract.
Kelp is especially valued for its iodine content, which is important for normal thyroid gland function and regulation of metabolism and body weight. Kelp is a rich source of potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, and vitamins A, B1, B2, C, D, E, and K. One study has shown that vegans consuming seaweeds had serum vitamin B12 levels twice as high as those who did not eat seaweed. Kelp also contains high levels of lignans, which have been linked to a reduced risk for some cancers.
Research shows that kelp supplements are effectively absorbed by the body. A double-blind clinical trial tested kelp supplements on 36 healthy people with normal thyroid function. After taking kelp for four weeks there was an increase in the blood level of TSH, the signalling hormone that triggers the thyroid gland to absorb available iodine for conversion into thyroid hormones. There was no response in the placebo group.
Natural Factors Fresh Kelp Extract is an effective way to meet your body’s daily requirement of iodine and essential trace minerals. It supports thyroid gland function, hormonal health, and fetal and infant development, and lowers the risk for some cancers.
Uses and benefits
- Supports normal healthy thyroid function
- Regulates hormones and metabolism
- Modulates estrogen levels
- Lowers the risk of some types of cancer
- Supports fetal and infant brain and nervous system development
- Reduces pain associated with fibrocystic breast disease
- Reduces individual risk factors for cardiovascular disease
- Provides antioxidant protection to cells
- Supports the immune system